Friday, February 27, 2015

Scotland: Grasmere Gingerbread (England)

I first heard of Grasmere Gingerbread while reading an article in my favorite magazine, Victoria, several years ago. Of course I wanted to go in person, but of course I thought that would never be a possibility. 

But there we were in the Lake District, just a few miles from Grasmere! So we had to stop! 


Sarah Nelson began this gingerbread bakery in the 1850's and her recipe is still used. The recipe is so secret that it is kept in a bank vault! The bakery is located in this tiny little building (which I believe was an old schoolhouse).

Doesn't the window look delightful?


You can see the "queue" forming at the door. Inside there was just enough room for the single-file line and you had only enough time to state your order, pull out your money, and leave! No stopping to drink in the surroundings!



Here's a closer look at the window:


This is the inside -- a tiny little nook for serving the customers! I guess the rest of the building is used for baking! And the rich, deep, gingery smell filled the place!


Here's another look at some of the shelves (if one had time to actually choose something). See that "Farrer's" on the shelf? That's my favorite black tea!!! It's "Lakeland Special" and it is SO good.


One last little look inside -- you can see I was snapping pictures as fast as I could before it was my turn to grab a few packets of gingerbread.


Here we are back at the cottage with our gingerbread:


And this is what it looks like inside! I'm sure the size and texture looks strange to most people. I think of gingerbread as dark and cakey. This is thin and crunchy -- more of a ginger shortbread. If you like ginger, it's delicious! Especially dipped in Lakeland Tea!


Since Sarah Nelson's gingerbread recipe is locked in a vault we can't make our own, but I did find this recipe in "Great British Baking" and it looks quite close!


And that's the story of our visit to Grasmere Gingerbread!


5 comments:

Pom Pom said...

How fun! Mmmmmm. I wish I had time to bake gingerbread today! I love it when you give us tours, Heather❤️

Reneelynn said...

Very interesting.......Loved the little tour. They have so many little shops that thrive.

southseaislandhome said...

Wow - I have never seen gingerbread like that either. Was it as yummy as its reputation? Here is a link to one of my favourite gingerbread recipes. I think this is similar to Nigella Lawson's also. It's the cakey sort. Golden Syrup is similar to treacle.
http://albrown.co.nz/cook/sweet-stuff/best-gingerbread-in-the-world

Lilly's Mom said...

This looks like a fabulous little place to visit. It's so historic and picturesque. Sounds like you had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I'd never heard of this before. Something to go on my wish list. I had noticed an issue of Victoria magazine in a photo in one of your earlier posts, and wondered if it was up and running again. I used to really enjoy it, in the 1980s, but it stopped being published. I must see if I can get a copy!