Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Re-Entry

I went to Walmart today, for the first time in over three months! Michael took me to look into getting my eye glasses changed. I must say, it felt like a very monumental event.

As I walked through the front doors, it was almost as if I was moving in slow motion, walking onto center stage in an epic film. I felt as if everything around me should stop, the background music reach a great crescendo, and I should burst into song: "I'm back!"

In reality, no one noticed anything out of the ordinary. In fact, no one really noticed my existence except for a cheerful man in a wheelchair with whom I exchanged a big smile. But I was noticing everything -- I didn't care if it was only Walmart, I was re-entering the WORLD!

I can remember feeling this unique set of emotions once before -- when we moved back from Scotland to the United States. Flying home on that last flight I was once again "re-entering" and I felt then, too, that everyone should realize: "I'm an American and I'm moving HOME!" But, once again, it was a private moment that no one knew of.

However, my kids are beginning to feel Mommy's presence again. Hopefully, it is mostly to their happiness, but I'm sure it is not exactly fun to be having a more scheduled "clean up" time, or a mother that is more present to sort out disagreements. :)

Here's a picture of Rachel and Andrew playing dentist the other day.



4 comments:

Shropshire Girl said...

Heather I am so pleased to hear of your 're-entry'! I hope you take things steadily and get back to your full strength, perhaps you will be breadmaking again!
Sandra.x.

Heather Anne said...

Heather - I am so very glad for you! I pray that each day you will be strengthened! Wal*Mart this week - next week - the Mall! In a sense, it's a great time to be out and about again since all the 'pretties' for Christmas are in their full glory, but at the same time - they are skipping thanksgiving AGAIN! If I hear one more 'happy turkey day' ....

Lovella ♥ said...

You could be a Walmart commercial. We in our hometown have seen a few locals in our Walmart commercials. Would that not be great? Your kids would love it.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back H -- I love you!