Saturday, February 9, 2008

Scissors, Paper.......Valentines

Valentines Day was something we always had fun celebrating as children. We never did anything fancy, but Mom always had us make our own valentines. Our favorite memory was the year we decorated a big box and "mailed" each other valentines for several weeks leading up until V's Day. I think that was the year we wrote our very own valentine stories too.

I am very happy to say that this year I managed to get the kids making valentines! (It doesn't always happen)
It was a good activity for Saturday -- something to occupy us for awhile, and no need to worry about the mess until dinnertime.


Such sweet, chubby hands working hard to make about 18 valentines!


David entertained himself with the crayons and the leftover cardboard
Rachel was very creative and came up with her own designs

A whole display of Rachel's cards:

Putting cards into envelopes is such a rewarding activity!
Here is James' artwork. Andrew was hard at work too, but his were all in the envelopes before we remembered to take a picture.
And I finally got around to attempting to make some felted balls today. They are hard work! Think about taking very chilled cookie dough and rolling it into balls -- I'll be waiting to see how my muscles hurt tomorrow.

I think I'll make these "as needed". And I think my ball of roving (I think that's the term) will probably last forever!

9 comments:

Darcy said...

Wow! What beautiful Valentines!!!

Unknown said...

This really brought back memories! What fun! Well, I don't think I'll have time to make mine this year... but I loved seeing the kids make them! See you soon!

Lovella ♥ said...

Heather, the picture of your children working on their valentines is just beautiful.
It brings back memories of me making them as a young girl but I really didn't have such wonderful materials to work with.
They look completely content with their task.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Valentine's Day with children actually beats Valentine's Day with a lover...there is just something so sweet and wonderful about the excitement of children in the midst of creativity.

When my kids were small we used to bake and bake and bake several kinds of cookies and treats, make cards and took the fancy cookies to all our friends and neighbors. Whew...that was a lot of work, but oh so special to see faces light up on a blah mid week Valentine's Day.

Anonymous said...

My little ones were always excited to fill out their valentines and exchange them at school - so many sweet little secrets.

Marg said...

Hi!
I jumped over from Lovella's blog.
That brought back memories. Enjoy these times because the time passes by quickly.
Now we're building other memories with our adult children.
You've inspired me to blog next week something that my little grandson created on Sunday. I will cherish his drawings.
Beautiful scarf. Did you make the scarf?

Marg said...

Hi!
I jumped over from Lovella's blog.
That brought back memories. Enjoy these times because the time passes by quickly.
Now we're building other memories with our adult children.
You've inspired me to blog next week something that my little grandson created on Sunday. I will cherish his drawings.
Beautiful scarf. Did you make the scarf?

Shropshire Girl said...

Valentines day is not for children here in the UK, just lovers. It is so sweet to see pictures of yours enjoying their creativity.
Sandra.x.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to make valentines with my grandchildren! Your children are just adorable!!