Saturday, November 8, 2014

The Tea Trolley

 I've been baking this Roman Apple Cake left and right! It's so delicious for fall and it translates to gluten free so easily you can't even tell! I've finally typed up the recipe here.

The kids did some baking during fall break and that resulted in a few more family tea times than we usually have. One day this historic tea arrived in the mail and was the perfect thing to enjoy with James' lemon bread -- a Colonial times tea blend. It was definitely more on the Chinese side of tea than what we normally drink which tends toward Indian.



I did get to Teavana during fall break and thanks to a couple of REALLY nice coupons I managed to bring 8 ounces of tea home for less than the normal 2 ounce price for some of these blends! I think the Strawberry Blush Rose is my favorite and next would be the Dragonfruit Devotion -- both fruit based with rose petals as well. It certainly added to my vacation to have new tea around!


I didn't get as many "tea breaks" over fall break since we were working so hard, but hopefully I'll start taking some more over the holiday season.


I did make some amazing apple dumplings during break using this recipe that a friend sent me. I substituted gluten-free flour mix and it worked great! However, I didn't look at all the pictures on the recipe and so mine ended up looking different but they still tasted amazing!!!!


I made a quick stop at World Market over break and look what I saw!!! How fun!


My most favorite new addition to my tea-time recipes is this recipe for Clootie Dumpling Scones. They are SO good and perfect for this time of year.


I'm getting plenty of use out of my hot water thermos! We had a family cup of tea at the park during fall break.


And here is another picture of my very own fall tea cozy!


Recently I have had to go dairy free so that's adding a new spin to tea time. No more milk in tea! What?!!!! I never thought that was even possible but I'm actually learning to drink tea without milk. It makes a huge difference but I still miss it. Also out with the chocolate (except for rare occasions) so the only thing around were some gluten free graham crackers which actually make a pretty nice accompaniment to tea. I think I should keep them around all the time.


Well, it's Saturday morning and there is a list before me of what to get done today in preparation for the week ahead. Maybe I can sneak a tea time in this afternoon somewhere! Happy weekend to you all!

7 comments:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I just saw on a Tea Group I belong to that a Downton Abbey Holiday tea is now available. That would almost be worth squeezing into the budget. Almost. ;)

The new forecast has us close to 60 on Monday so we are going to (hopefully) finish up the outside chores that need to be done. Then there will be more time for reading and tea drinking and creating.

Pom Pom said...

You are adorable, Heather!
I must go look for that tea at World Market! So fun!
I am mostly dairy-free as well. Do you put honey in your tea?
Your tea cozy is darling! Happy weekend!

Heather said...

Hi Heather! I love your tea trolley posts. I have read all of your tea trolley postscthis week since i have had to be immobile this week and so I have had extra time to read.
You have inspired me to knit some tea cozies. I have already finished one and am halfway through my second one. :-)
I hope that you have a blessed weekend!

elizabeth said...

I've heard good things about this vegan coconut creamer: http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/coconut-milk-creamers

I've had their yougert and it's lovely.

I love your tea posts too! I had some downtown abby tea at a friends and it was just lovely!

Iris said...

Oh my goodness, all this food makes me want to run out and buy cake immediately!!

I'll have to have a look at the Roman Apple Cake recipe - I have a colleague and friend with various food allergies (including wheat), and I wonder if she could adapt the recipe. She's always on the look-out for recipes that might be adapted to work around all the things she can't eat.

Also, that tea cosy is adorable! :)

elizabeth said...

saw your comment about making the Christmas tea! how fun! let me know if it works out for you! I am thinking of trying to make a chocolate chai or chocolate spice tea this year as well!

HeatherMavis said...

Oh the comfort of these sweet posts. You are faithful to keep your home fires burning, the kettle hot , and tummies filled with yummy things.