Wednesday, May 18, 2016

New York City #1

I've just returned from another trip to New York City! Every time I go I am amazed and grateful for the opportunity. I'm also discovering how fun it is to return again and again to the same place and the sort of relaxation that comes with not needing to see everything or do everything in one trip!



This trip I had the delightful experience of meeting in person someone who has been an online friend of mine for several years -- Elizabeth over at Roosje: {little rose}.  It was fun to actually talk in person about everything that we have in common: our faith, our love of tea, and our love of good literature! 

Our first stop was Harney & Sons (the tea store). They had so many teas for sale it was hard to have a look at all of them! 
I'm sure many of you recognize these distinctive tins. Of course it would have been fun to bring home a whole shelf worth of tea! 


Since we had some time to kill before our tea lunch reservation we decided to try out some of Harney&Son's tea. I tried the decaf Darjeeling. It was all right, but not impressive enough for me to buy it. I think drinking tea without milk makes me very sensitive to the steeping times of tea and the resulting over-abundance of tannins if the tea has steeped too long.


We hurried ourselves away from Harney&Sons in time to make it to our reservation at The Crosby Street Hotel. The hotel was full of light and lots of wool-based decor! You can see lots more pictures on Elizabeth's blog.

And now for our lunch! Just look at this gluten-free spread we were served up! Gluten free scones, chickpea "fries", the most delicious curried chicken salad on fried rice paper (what a perfect idea!), smoked salmon on gluten free bread, quinoa bread with eggplant spread, macarons, chocolate cashew "cheese"cake, almond tea cake, and pistachio pastry. We were both impressed with the beauty and originality of this gluten free selection. I just noticed on the Crosby Hotel website that you can now order a "Detox Tea" from them which will include an amazing assortment of food that is gluten, dairy, egg, and refined sugar free! That is unbelievable!


Elizabeth chose a gorgeous flowering green tea and I chose to have the second flush Muscatel Darjeeling. Delightful!!!


We were both amused by this collection of pictures of Queen Elizabeth.


Here's a little glimpse of the interior of the room where we took our tea.


 The hours went by all too quickly! We both lamented that in person meetings like this could not take place more frequently. We left in time to make a quick stop at Purl Soho, a mutual favorite.


Inside the walls are lined with luxury yarns and luxury fabric! Both fun to look at and "pet".


I loved this colorful display of knitted swatches and scarves.


And the Liberty of London fabric -- there is something about Liberty that calls out to me.


And the blue palette:


Oh and the little fat quarters! Each one more beautiful than the last! Elizabeth suggested making a quilt that would be mainly white fabric with touches of Liberty thrown in. A very good idea.....someday!


Aha, this picture shows one such quilt idea! And it also shows the Purl Soho Pup that I've made so many of! Fun to see an original in person.


It was hard to dash away and say goodbye but I needed to be up at Christy's in time to babysit little Nathan who is cuter with every picture and who took to me immediately for which I was very happy!  


And so my latest New York adventure was off to a wonderful start. Next we will visit the Brooklyn Botanical Garden and the incredible tree peonies!

3 comments:

Christine Laennec said...

What a wonderful post! I have never enjoyed New York but I have never been there as a tourist with time and money to explore. Also I haven't been there since the 1980s! (I do have fond memories of watching the Mets play at Shea Stadium though.) So it's nice to see a different New York. That little boy is so sweet. I'm not surprised he took to you right away. And I'm so glad you were able to meet an online friend. X

Georgina said...

Lovely photos, Heather! I'm glad you are back safely, and had such a wonderful time. Christy's little boy is adorable, and I notice her copy of Julia Childs' cookbook is well thumbed!!

Pom Pom said...

How fun! I love the looks of Purl Soho. I'd love to visit. I don't take milk in my tea either. I am picky about the perfect brew.
I'm so glad you had such fun with Elizabeth! I can't wait to hear/read more!