Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thoughts on Hospitality



Today I'm participating in Keeping Creative Kitchens over at Reflective Ponderings. Without my camera I feel at a bit of a loss as to what to blog about these days. :) I know it's silly, but I guess I'm sort of a photo-blogger and it just isn't the same without the pictures.
Anyway, today I thought I'd mention a book on hospitality that I'm reading right now. It's called A Life That Says Welcome by Karen Ehman. I like to periodically read books on home management, hospitality, parenting, marriage just to "keep creative".
So far I'm enjoying this book. One thing Ehman says early on in her book is that the object of Christian hospitality is to refresh not impress. I think this is such a great little phrase to keep in mind and to encourage us in whatever efforts we make at hospitality.
She also devotes a chapter to reminding us that our family comes first. We need to put thought and care into taking care of our family's physical needs before taking care of others.
Since I'm only beginning chapter 4, I can't give you a run down of the rest of the book yet. :) But, I'm looking forward to the encouragement it should offer.
In the mean time, I think contentment is the word I need to be focusing on just now. When I feel frustrated at my lack of creativity, or the plethora of beautiful things I see in magazines and not in my own home, or disappointed at what my cupboard has to offer, I think it's time for me to sit back and be grateful for the many, many things I do have and foster a contented spirit. Funny enough, contentment seems to inspire creativity sometimes......
PS: Last week I did make the Pumpkin Raisin Bread and Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. Both are really, really good.

6 comments:

Leciawp said...

Thank you for these thoughts - exactly what I needed to hear! I have a beautiful house, wonderful children...yet all day I've been fretting about all the organizing I need to do. I will try to meditate on contentment!

Laura said...

Hi Heather.... I think I am very refreshed when I come to your house :).... just the atmosphere and the calm spirit.... even the kids bring me refreshing with the happy play!!! YOU and Michael have done a great job making your home a warm and inviting place to walk into!!!! love you
mom

Lovella ♥ said...

Heather, the fact that you would even read such a book speaks volumes of your care and contentment. We all have those moments but the big picture is revealed about us. . .when our family sits around the table and munches away on the goodness of the day. Blessings on you. . you are such a sweet mom.

Mama10EE said...

Thanks for your kind words about my first centerpiece! I think you have a good idea of what is important and it sounds like the book you are reading is worthy of my library card!

Amy K said...

Looks like a great book. I'll have to order that one! I really admire people who are hospitable and offer what they have warmly, regardless of whether they have much or not.

Alaina said...

This is such a great reminder. I too often get caught up in the details and making a good impression. These days, I'm especially needing to focus on hospitality in new ways.