Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Few Recipes

Today I'm participating in Keeping Creative Kitchens over at Reflective Ponderings.

I thought I'd share a few recipes that I've tried this week and we have really enjoyed.

First off is Easy Taco Soup. This was so nice and easy to put together and can be made in large batches and frozen. The kids enjoyed eating it because they got to have tortilla chips, cheese and sourcream with it:

We also had this Baked Potato Soup which had the same theory of "things on top" that makes it fun. I don't make potato soup often because of the high carb content, but I felt a little better about this soup since it contained an entire head of cauliflower. I've also been serving soups of this nature with cottage cheese on the side to boost the protein content of our dinner, since that is necessary for my diet.


Earlier in the week I made this Thai Beef Curry which was fantastic. I think I will be using the skeleton of this recipe (coconut milk and Thai red curry paste) to make this again and again in different varieties. I wish I had a picture of it hot on my plate, but this is what it looks like as leftovers in the fridge:

I've been feeling better about cooking this week since I've been trying to allot myself one whole hour in the kitchen for dinner prep instead of just 30 minutes. Definately helps. :) It also helps to remember that food prep and cooking is not time wasted but time invested in my family, no matter how appreciative (or not) they are.


2 comments:

Monica said...

Do you count clean up in that hour? These recipes look great. I'm needing to use up some cauliflower and we love soup:)

Heather Anne said...

Heather - you've been trying some adventurous recipes! I am such a plain jane cook and eater - the less ingredients the better for me! I would love to learn to eat mixtures, but my tastebuds are so opposed to the whole idea ... I am glad you are enjoying your kitchen time - it does take time to make a nice diner, but it is well worth it.