Saturday, March 5, 2011

Calligraphy


A friend wanted a few tips on calligraphy recently so I got out my pens and googled "calligraphy envelopes." Oh my, the eye candy! Once I started I couldn't stop, it was so much fun!


It's amazing how many resources are available FREE on the internet if you want to take up the craft of calligraphy. A simple google search will yield all you need. Good pens do help! I suggest "Staedtler Calligraphy Duo" and these can be bought from Amazon if your local art store does not carry them.

It all boils down to a little time here and there for practice, practice, practice. And, if you don't have time to do that, just practice when you are writing things you have to write: to-do lists, addressing envelopes, menus, birthday cards. Adding a little beauty to someone's day is fun!

Here is the site I recommended to my friend:

6 comments:

Kevin Gardella for School Committee said...

Wow! It is so nice to see beautiful handwriting - mine is SO bad. Maybe if I took up calligraphy I might improve ; ). My husband is quite impressed as well - looking over my shoulder.

Jessica said...

Woops - commented as my husband, too!

Anonymous said...

I love the look of calligraphy and would be interested in learning how to write beautifully. Yes you can find anything on a google search, but it is overwhelming. Where to start? What site is best? There's too many sites and it's confusing. It just makes me give up. Can you recommend any specific sites?

southseaislandhome said...

Wow! How beautiful. What fun. I'm going to check out that website you recommended.
And no - I haven't been able to find Victoria magazine here in NZ for years! I'd love to see it! :o)

Lovella ♥ said...

OH yes. ..I have had the pleasure of finding one of your beautiful envelopes in my mail box. .and you have also found one of my chicken scrawled returned to you . ..big sigh. We can't all have beautiful handwriting. That was one of the things that drew me to blogging. Beauty at my fingertips.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to learn, (I even bought myself a nice pen one time) but never have.. it does look so lovely though, I should just make a point of doing it!