Monday, October 3, 2011

New York City Day 3

It's funny that New York City is the last of the great triad (London, Paris, New York) for me to explore in depth. Michael and I are very blessed to have been able to spend two weeks in both Paris and London on separate occasions. A highlight of each of those visits was Sunday worship with strangers of like heart and mind. My trip was no different. It was very special to get to worship with my friend Christy and the church she is part of there in New York City.

Funny enough, our congregations go by the same name! I wish I had remembered to photograph the sanctuary of this church. It was so beautiful, just what you would expect to find on the east coast.

After church we stopped by Christy's favorite coffee house and then headed toward Union Square.

We had Vietnamese sandwiches for lunch:

Enjoyed in the park........

After a few hours of chatting in the park, and meeting up with another friend as well, we headed over to Serendipity for dessert.

Frozen hot chocolate and a hot fudge sundae were the desserts of choice:

Surprisingly, we had trouble finishing them! But, they were SO good!!!!

After dessert we slowly made our way towards Christy's brother's home, stopping by Grand Central Station so I could have a look.

Christy's brother, John, lives just around the corner from Wall Street.

John and his wife, Christina, welcome us to their lovely apartment and served us a delicious meal. Christy got some coveted time with her niece.

Such a treat it was to enjoy the hospitality extended to me. There is nothing I love more than friends visiting around a table of food.

And then it was time to make the trek back home via foot and subway. We passed the demonstrators that we had heard about all weekend: trying to demonstrate against Wall Street.
And we also passed Ground Zero, perhaps the most talked about place in NYC.

My days in NYC were full, but relaxing all the same. I was very blessed.

4 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

Heather. . .just think we've been at some of the same places. That just warms my heart. I wonder if you will ever come here...I hope so.
I didn't get to see Grand Central Station...though I voted to. We didn't eat that yummy looking food either.

Jessica said...

I am having fun traveling vicariously through you! I keep adding things to my itinerary based on your photos. Food stops in particular. yumm!

southseaislandhome said...

Serendipity! That is one place I would definitely like to go to if I ever get to New York. I'm loving seeing your pictures of your trip.

willow said...

Heather, I'm really enjoying these posts and your photos. I don't suppose I will ever get to New York but I can get a feel for it from your pictures.