Saturday, December 29, 2007

Secrets Revealed

Now that Christmas is over, I can show you what the children and I were busy creating for presents! We decided to try and "make" as many presents as we could, rather than just buy them. Since I had more time on my hands than usual this year, it was feasible to try.

Several in the family needed new tea cozies. That happens to be one of my specialties. I decided to modify them a bit this time around and added some embroidery to the one for mom.

Here it is finished. I thought it looked like something from LL Bean. Many thanks to Jess for all her inspiration this fall.


Christina wanted a tea cozy out of a sweater she had knitted in the past. We were both pleased with the results.


Rachel has been admiring the American Girl Doll "Kirsten" so I tried to create a few outfits that would look the part:


Auntie C came to the rescue at the last minute and volunteered to knit a sweater to complete this outfit:
Andrew painted ornaments into which we fitted pictures of the children. He gave these out to each member of the extended family.


Rachel was very busy. She made sets of greeting cards for every lady in the family and embroidered handkerchiefs for the men. Here she is, hard at work:



My sister surprised Emily and I with beautiful purses she had knitted, felted, and decorated with knitted and felted flowers. We were very impressed!


And here is my own try at felted flowers (from felted wool sweaters). They were fun to make and I can't wait for the next opportunity to decorate something!


I really did enjoy getting the chance to do something with my hands. I hope in the coming year that I will continue on with more embroidery, a few more tea cozies, and perhaps a few other things I have not yet tried.

2 comments:

Monica said...

Impressive!! The Kirstin dresses are amazing and the little sweater was adorable. These will be family keepsakes I'm sure.

Can't wait to see you toting your new purse:)

Jessica said...

wow! those are all so wonderful.. such fun, i am very impressed with the felting you have done! and wow Rachel.. you must be a proud mama. christmas over here was somewhat of a wash with lots of pictures of future presents :)