Wednesday, January 23, 2008

National Pie Day

I understand that today is National Pie Day! Now that is definately something that sounds appealing to a Foodie.

The place of favorite, in my mind, is a heated battle between blackberry pie and blueberry pie. Berries just seem to be an all-round favorite with me.

It would be apple pie that is the most-made around here. There is something so comforting about hot apples and cinnamon in between flaky pastry. And, I often make our apple pies without any sugar, so it is the pie of choice for me right now.

Here is a picture of a pie I have often made in the summer: peach and blueberry. It really is a delicious combination.

My mom always had this little saying that a girl wasn't ready to get married until she could make a good pie. :) My sisters and I decided we better learn to make good pies. :)

Some of my other favorites include pumpkin, strawberry-rhubarb, shoo-fly (this is a Mennonite pie made with molasses and a crumb topping -- it's very good), red rasberry, and maple-pecan.


Happy Pie Day to all of you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey There! We are leaving Friday for Florida and will be gone for 2 weeks. My sister, Heidi, is having her baby. Well, I kind of hope she waits till we get there!

Monica said...

Your pie pictures are good enough eat:)

Being a math teacher, this is one of Sean's favorite days, too. They celebrate Pi day with numbers and some yummy deserts.

Amy K said...

I love your blog, Heather! You have inspired me to make shoo-fly pie. I had it once when we were in Lancaster, PA. There's a recipe I've been wanting to try for it, but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe next week. :)

Also, that was so sweet of the kids to do an early birthday. How thoughtful of them! Although, I must say that's VERY early. :)

Lovella ♥ said...

yup, I made a blueberry pie too. Yummy!!!
I debated between blackberry and blueberry too.