Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Weekend

The weekend began when I walked downstairs and discovered this sweet sign the children had "brainstormed." It was not my birthday, but they got the idea to pretend that it was. :) So, they made this sign, hung up balloons, and decorated the table. (They stopped just short of presents, oh well.)

Michael, and Christina's husband JK, were away Friday night at a men's retreat. We girls decided to have our own little retreat and Christina came to spend the night. Saturday morning we all pitched in to make a pancake breakfast.


Bobby also came to join us for the girls' night. Saturday morning found him trying to soak up the sun -- notice how he is sitting.


One of my favorite memories from childhood is my mother and father reading aloud to us in the evenings. We read so many, many books together. Now, I love reading to my kids. We usually read right before bed and just now we are reading "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Sometimes we read during the day, and James' favorite book is "The Poky Little Puppy."

"You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be --
I had a mother who read to me." ----Strickland Gillilan



Our new couch cover arrived in time for the weekend! Yeah! Now I'm working on some blue/green pillows to replace the off-white ones.


The kids and I made cookies on Saturday! It was a lot of fun, especially since I hadn't done it in so long.Here are the boys in their new sweaters which Grandma found on the clearance sale at Old Navy! Don't they look handsome! :)


And the two blue-eyed brothers:




4 comments:

SueJ said...

Enjoy thise 'read-in's'!The only ones we do these days involve A level Revision text books -a long cry from 'Apple Tree Farm' & later 'The Hatchet' or 'Brian's Winter'!
Your guys look very handsome in their matching sweaters!

Monica said...

I love it that they threw you a birthday party when it wasn't your birthday. That is love:)

Your new couch is great!!

Jessica said...

so sweet! such good kids, and good mama :) reading to children is such a nice snuggly thing to do. and the sweaters..oh my.. so handsome!

Darcy said...

I LOVE the matching sweaters!!! Yea for Grandmas bargain find!