Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Words and Wool

Plenty of knitting has been happening around here. Knitting is always a good thing to take on trips and since we've had a trip to Church Camp and a trip to Chicago, there has been ample time for such things.


Rachel knitted this Blue Tit for Grandma for her birthday. I thought she did such a good job! She used this pattern which can be found on Ravelry.


Our friend, Karen, is visiting with us from Airdrie, Scotland! Sometime ago she expressed interest in a mug cozy and her visit was a good time to try one. She claims it keeps her coffee hot for a much longer period than normal! :) It was so easy to make with some of my felted sweaters.

Other gift knitting is happening but can't be revealed at this time. Perhaps next week........

And now for words.......

Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher was finished at Church Camp. Such a lovely book! Pilcher is now one of my favorite authors. I believe she has written somewhere around 20 books so I am looking forward to savoring each and every one in the years ahead. I must not allow myself to read them all at once or the pleasure will be spoilt.


A Summer In Skye by Alexander Smith is a book I've just begun. I have a very old, antique copy which I am reading. One of my goals for the next year is to read books set in, or about, Scotland as much as possible in preparation for our trip there next fall. I'm kind of choosing books on whims as I hear about them or come across them. I've begun A Summer in Skye and from it have ordered several Sir Walter Scott novels as well as a biography of Scott.

The piles are as high as ever by my bed and on my bookshelf. However, this is a great pleasure in life and I am very thankful for it.

You can hop over to Ginny's blog today to read more about books and knitting.

5 comments:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

D. E. Stevenson has a lot of novels that take place in Scotland.

One of my all time favorite series starts with Vittoria Cottage (in England) and then continues with the story of her son in Scotland.

Those next two books are Music In the Hills and Shoulder the Sky.

Bel Lamington is also in that series after all of those but I haven't been able to read it, yet.

A friend sent me a copy of The Laird's Inheritance (American title) by George MacDonald... one of those edited by Michael R. Phillips. She found it at a library sale. It is VERY Scottish.

Anonymous said...

Darling 'Blue tit,' I had to smile. I'll have to try a cup cozy, my coffee cools so fast when I get caught up with my knitting.

Lori ann said...

how sweet! lovely little blue bird! and the cup cosy is such a good idea, mine really works too!

Unknown said...

The bird is lovely. When I first saw Alexander Smith, my mind immediately went to Alexander McCall Smith, but then realized that's the wrong person. I'll have to look and see if the library has "A Summer in Skye".

Marissa M. said...

that bird is AMAZING!! so cute. she is so talented.
and i love the cozy too... new line of work?