Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Words and Wool

Plenty of knitting going on around here but this is the one thing I actually finished this week: a toad for James' birthday. Andrew got a frog a few years ago but James requested a toad and I had this perfect yarn to work with. The pattern can be found here.





I also made James this pillow using an owl I found at Goodwill Pay by the Pound. I love owls and this made me think of James. I'm making him owl cupcakes too! Can't wait!


It's our family vacation right now and we have made it through the marathon watching of the Lord of the Rings trilogy! I think that equates to nearly 12 hours of video! Wow! The good thing is, I got an enormous amount of sewing, crocheting, embroidery, and knitting done while watching! Including 5 1/2 dozen wool flowers which are now up at the Village Yarn Shop.


With all the tv watching there hasn't been as much reading. However, here are some things I currently have my nose in:



The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth. I can't wait to watch "Call the Midwife" -- a new BBC series that is out. This author's work is what the series is based on. Worth was a midwife in London's East End following WWII. I'm already hooked after reading just the first part of chapter 1. If you are into all the details, and what life was like back then, this is the book for you!

The Real Life Downton Abbey: How Life Was Really Lived in Stately Homes a Century Ago by Jacky Hyams just arrived on my hold shelf today! It looks great and I better dive in and finish it fast because I know it probably has a lengthy hold list on it.


Royal Teas with Grace and Style by Eileen Shafer is a new tea book I've come across. Lots of great information and helpful tips on hosting teas. I could wish the photos and styling of the book had been more professional......

And now I better get back to real life.......

For more knitting and reading ideas, hop over to Ginny's Yarn Along.

7 comments:

momto5 said...

the midwife books sound really interesting. i have longed to be a midwife. one of my favorite books is "the baby catcher".
the toad is fabulous!

Angela said...

Whoa! All those flowers look great!

Unknown said...

I love your words and wool posts! :) The toad is so cute and love the owl! I made my dd owl cupcakes last year for her birthday! The oreo eye ones??? They are SO cute! :)

EMMA said...

Wow, your work is incredible. That is one handsome toad!

HeatherMavis said...

All of my children were delivered by midwives - in the hospital, insurance would not cover them in homes. I loved my midwives.
Those flowers make me want to sew -- and watch the LoTR from start to finish. My favorite parts of those movies were the elves and the hobbits , the loveliness in their homes- humble homely holes to the grandeur of open air palaces that blend into the trees. Celtic designs carved into wood and stone. And the the music of the elves! ahhh. I am excited to see the "Hobbit", I think it's coming out in December. Maybe heaven could look like the Shire , Rivendell, and Lothórien all rolled into one.

HeatherMavis said...

Heather! Her's a blog you've just got to see: myscottishheart.com by Liz Curtis Higgs the christian author.

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed by your toad and owl! Owls seem to be everywhere these days in the shops for some reason.

I'd be curious to know if the "Real Downton Abbey" book is good.