Thursday, December 11, 2008

Food This Week

Today I'm participating in Creative Kitchens over at Reflective Ponderings. I thought I would post a recipe for fruit salad which my sister, Christina, created. She served it at our birthday dinner last weekend. I think it should be called Winter Fruit Salad.

Winter Fruit Salad

1 pineapple cut up
3-4 oranges, peeled, segmented, chopped
1-2 cans apricots, drained
zest and juice of one lime
juice of 2 tangerines (or oranges, or a lemon, etc.)

Mix everything together and serve! The lime zest makes this taste wonderful! Another option would be to use crystallized ginger pieces.

I've been trying to get ready for Christmas around here -- thinking through a menu and baking ahead. I love to look at magazines or books from the library to inspire me. Often I come back to my old favorites, but sometimes the books and magazines give a new twist to something.

I did finally get to my Christmas Cake and Mincemeat in the past week. Here is my fruit, ready to pop into the Christmas Cake batter:

The Mincemeat smelled wonderful as it baked slowly in the oven. The aroma brings back so many memories of Scotland and Christmases spent there:

Here's the mincemeat, waiting to be made in a few weeks into mince pies. I can't wait!

Right now I have a batch of pumpkin raisin bread rising in the kitchen. I definately recommend it for the Christmas season.
Today is Emily's birthday. We hope it is a special day for her and we have a few surprises up our sleeves.

2 comments:

Ruth MacC said...

Hey! I just had a quick scan and have to come by and visit later. However, I like the look of the mince. Reminds me of when mum ;used to make puddings etc at Christmas.

Did you lave a comment for me on my blog? I tried to put a comment (I think it was from you) on to my blog using my i phone and lost it!

Talk soon.


God bless.
Ruth

Alaina said...

That fruit salad looks yummy - I've never bought canned apricots. I'm not a fan of mincemeat but yours looks beautiful!