Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day -- Our Morning

We had a really lovely Valentine's Day on Saturday. We began the morning by a trip for the kids and me to Old Navy. Old Navy was giving away $5 coupons to each child that colored a valentine. Here's what we found, thanks to the clearance:

Rachel: fleece hat, brown flip-flops and a beautiful yellow zipped/hooded fleece (out of pocket = 40 cents)

Andrew: fleece hat, brown flip-flops and a lovely rugby-type casual shirt (out of pocket $2.50)

James: fleece hat, brown flip-flops and a nice sweater for next winter (out of pocket + 47 cents)

David: brown flip-flops and two pullover shirts he was desparately needing (out of pocket = 0)

The best deal of the day happened to be 3 pairs of trousers for Michael found at $3.50 each!

The kids did a super job in the store (I was worried) and it was really, really fun to have them each pick out things that would be useful and enjoyable for them. It certainly made my day!

Next we headed over to Marsh to visit Grandma and bring the flower ladies some raspberry muffins.
The florist section was covered with roses, everywhere, just waiting for husbands to buy them for their wives.

Grandma took a little break and we sat down for the kids to have donuts:

Then it was time to hurry home and get ready for cookie decorating and a valentine's party.

We had an eclectic mix of family and friends over in the evening and we had a BLAST!!! There are far too many pictures, so I'm going to split them up over a few days.
I was reflecting on Valentine's Days in the past. I remember one time thinking I was just about going to die exerting the effort to make pancakes on Valentine's Day for the children. Or the times it felt like climbing a mile-high mountain to think of making cards with the children. And then there was this year where it was so much easier. Who knows what next year will be like. I guess it's all about rolling with the punches and being content with those times when I can't do it, and counting my blessings when a day like Saturday comes around.

4 comments:

Mrs. E. said...

Oh, what great deals you found! I'm very impressed. Now I reaaaaly wish I lived near some of those fun stores!
Monday Blessings!
Heather

Monica said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day! I'm impressed with your finds at Old Navy- I love shopping when it's nearly free:)

Megan said...

Great job on your finds! Sounds like it was a perfect Valentine's Day for you and your kiddos.

Anonymous said...

Aww Heather, it sounds like just the most perfect day!x