Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!!!! Our family attended a New Year's Eve party last night in which we were all told to wear a hat that somehow communicated hopes and dreams for the new year. The kids and I had a lot of fun brainstorming and crafting our hats.



I thoroughly enjoyed making this giant flower for my hat -- representing my flower business, which I hope continues to do well in the coming year. Now I just need another function to wear this creation to!

Andrew's hat was all about soccer, including a sign above the goal that said "2010 Goal". He made a prototype himself out of cardboard with green paper grass around the top and then we created this finished product together:

We decided Rachel's hat should be all about having a baby sister. She constructed the crib out of crafts sticks and sewed the mattress, blanket and pillow:

James decided on a crown, complete with his brand new blinking reindeer horns and nose:

And I told David just to pick a hat out of the dress up box :)

Michael thought he had an extra day to make his, but when it came down to the last 20 minutes he came up with this idea: woodworking. He's wearing his great-grandfather's straight edge and shows plans of a side table he has already started building.

Here are all the kiddos:

We all had fun at the party and enjoyed the other hats that were worn, including Christina's complete Ysolda-look-alike outfit and hat!!!!!! (Ysolda is a knitter.)
And now we're in the New Year! I think January is becoming one of my favorite months. It is often a bright month with sunlight reflected off of snow, or clear blue skies. The month seems quieter than December and there is a feeling of freshness. Hurray for the new year!

5 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

Too funny. . .you are really blessed to have such great little kids. I love your hat and M's also. . just made me smile. Happy New Year.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

What a great memory making event! I think you could wear your hat just about anywhere...but on those days were you feel like being especially "fun" damental, you could use it cover your head while you pray, as Paul admonished, and have a really humorous talk with God. I think God would enjoy the whimsy!

The word verification word was flearad. That's a pretty funny word!

Karen Winslow said...

Wonderful!!! Happy New Year!!

Heather Anne said...

What fun! I love all of your hats, and the hopes and dreams they represent! Blessed New Year!

willow said...

Great hats, what a lovely idea.
I agree with you, there is a feeling of quietness now that the hustle and bustle of Christmas has been packed away, I enjoy it at the time but always feel pleased to be getting back to "normal"!