Friday, September 8, 2017

August Review

Our school year started the last day of July so August was our month to get back to school. Of course it was still summer! So we had to fit in all the normal summer stuff too like the pool, the State Fair, and visits from friends.

Here we have our 8th, 6th, and 2nd graders:


August is the busiest month for high school golf. This is Rachel's last year to play before she heads off to college. I'm going to miss this sport! I've promised myself that within ten years I'm going to find a way to learn to play. Andrew is playing soccer again for Covenant this year (no picture yet).


I think this might have been our fifth year at the  Zionsville Plein Air Paint Out! YAY!


Grandma was there too and we all had a wonderful day! The boys even won prizes!


The State Fair is something we all look forward to! This year we had friends come visit from out of state so they could join us at the fair. We made sure to go two days.


 Yay for cooler weather at the fair! It makes all the difference!


The kids all tried their hands at fishing at the fair and each caught a fish!


I think they might like to do this more often....


 The Pioneer Village is always a favorite place and my mouth was watering walking by the dining room just as the ladies served up a full farm lunch.


 Our whole visit to the fair is one long string of tradition after tradition. Candy sticks are a must.


I love this quilt pattern. I used to have antique quilts like this when I was a child.


We all loved the cows. America has far fewer cows now than we had 60 years ago, but the cows we have produce FAR greater amounts of milk. It's interesting to hear all the statistics and think how agriculture has changed.


Laura is the only child young enough for "Little Hands on the Farm."


Here are the animals that built the west. Impressive beasts!


Our state fair has a new "ride"! Our friends treated us all to a turn on it and we loved it! The best way to see the fair!


The bunny and chicken barn is so fun.


Especially the amazing-haired chickens. I think I'd like this for a costume party.


 The canned food displays are always fun but this year there was no question which was my favorite!!!


Once we'd exhausted the fair it was time to introduce my friends to Goodwill Outlet! They loved it just as much as we do!


And then we spent a few mornings at Eagle Creek and eventually discovered some monarch caterpillars!


Cousin Olivia is growing all the time! She's so sweet!


James and I had the chance to receive an oil painting lesson from a friend. We both thoroughly enjoyed it!


I spent many hours in August prepping for my art classes which I've started up this fall. Lots and lots of nature journaling kits were made and ideas put down on paper.


And of course we had our Great American Eclipse experience.


And then it was time to settle back into a regular routine of school and get used to the fact that summer is drawing to an end.


Meanwhile, we are enjoying hatching monarch butterflies.


With the first of September the weather has taken a decided turn for fall. And now the weekend is ahead, and we are all waiting news of the hurricane and praying for those in its path.

2 comments:

carleen hobbs said...

Thanks for the pics and comments... so fun to catch up on your month! I can hardly believe that Rachel is close to college... I've got a high schooler for the first time this year. We just finished a six day bush camping/hunting trip. No moose, but we survived, so I thought it was pretty successful! :) c

elizabeth said...

lots of special things!!! so glad! :) I hope you have a blessed school year this year!