Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My Garden is Ill

Well, my garden is looking quite ill. It's very sad. Nothing seems to be growing, and everything seems to be turning yellow. :(

I called the Dirt Doctor and he ordered tests, which we duly performed. The results are in and waiting to be interpreted for the best diagnosis and treatment plan.

It doesn't help that when I look across my yard I see my neighbor's lush garden:

At least my zinnias are growing nice and green and strong. If we don't have any tomatoes, at least we'll have flowers! :)

And the rhubarb's coming along too. Maybe next year we'll actually get some to harvest?

I guess we'll just need to wait and see what happens. It could be I need to give the dirt a few years to develop. Maybe my green thumb begins and ends with violets.......

4 comments:

Alaina said...

Oh, I am sorry. I will say that the first year on these lots is pretty tough because of how bad the soil is...even when you add the layers. Don't give up!

Jessica said...

we have too much lead in our soil to grow in it directly but raised beds are always an option! an extremely basic book i have is the squarefoot garden by mel bartholomew. im sure you are beyond that but it gave me a few ideas. unfortunately for me squirles/birds/very dirt happy little boys have made it about impossible without a cage of somesort.

southseaislandhome said...

I'm sorry to hear about your garden woes, Heather! It will be interesting to hear what comes back from the tests.

Lovella ♥ said...

Oh dear. . that is very sad. . I do hope that the dirt doctor can advise you what to do. . .
OH. . I wish I could pop over with a bag of chicken goodness. . .your rhubarb looks like it could use a bit on it too. . .but. . hey at least it is growing. .