Rachel and I have been working together on a summer dress for her. The dress was originally a Ralph Lauren skirt that I couldn't pass up at a Goodwill 50% off sale. I knew the skirt wouldn't look good on me, but I figured it could be turned into something.
We used a store-bought pattern but adjusted it here and there to fit the shape we had to work with.
Rachel is pleased with the results, so that's what matters! :) (You can click on the picture to enlarge it -- we utilized the button band that ran down the center of the skirt, adding a few additional button holes to the bodice. We also kept the bottom of the skirt in tact, cutting it to the height of the original pattern and just gathering it up a lot.)
On the sewing front, a friend sent me the link to the sewing blog of Paula Prass. Paula is from our area and her blog is beautiful! She also has some terrific links to other sewing sites.
Have a wonderful 4th of July weekend!