Friday, March 5, 2010

Tissue Paper Flowers

My sisters and I grew up making tissue paper flowers. They are relatively easy and lots of fun. Recently my mom was over and made some with the kids.


We start with several squares of tissue paper, folded and cut as if you were going to cut a snowflake (so it looks like an ice-cream cone when you hold it). Then we cut a design along the top of the "ice-cream cone".

We stick a pipe cleaner through the middle of the opened up "ice-cream cone". Sometimes we make stamens to attach to the pipe cleaner before we poke it through the "ice-cream cone" petals.
Then we secure everything with scotch tape or florist tape at the base of the paper.

It's a fun way to bring spring indoors.

Adults can get quite fancy with theirs, but we just let the kids play around with what they want.

The sun is shining again today! Two gallons of scorched yogurt are down the drain but 10 loaves of bread are being made as penance. And now it's time to do chores and get ready for the weekend.

6 comments:

Emma@christmascupboard said...

WoW! This post Brought back childhood memories for me!
Fab...Your flowers are great!

Laura said...

Oh that is a nice spring blog...
hurrah for tissue paper... so many uses... loved the pics ...
see you soon

xx
mom

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Every child should have the pleasure of making tissue paper flowers. Such fun, so easy, so decorative.

When I was a wee lass (back in the 1950's) my great aunt made flowers for corsages and trim for hats at a department store. All the best stores had such a person-you would show her your garment and explained what you had in mind and she would create just the thing from papers that felt velvety or like fine leather. She let me have a lot of her supplies, being in her retirement years and I had a ball making flowers for years. Now I make flowers from ribbons for hats that I make-and think of how Great Aunt Maud would have been pleased to see the art continue.

Amy K said...

I enjoyed catching up on your blog today!! I love the tissue-paper flowers. I'll have to try them with my girls. They look so easy and pretty. :) They will love it.

Heather Anne said...

fun fun fun! I just moved a big stash of slightly used tissue that I have saved for just this project - to brighten a rainy day perhaps - today we had sun! And enough energy to go to the library - a good day!

Unknown said...

wow.. these tissue paper looks awesome. I have never seen anything like it. Iflorist.co.uk