Monday, November 15, 2010

Knitting With Gloves and Other Random Thoughts

What a relief to have 2 days and 2 nights of progress under our belt! I am feeling so much more relaxed. We are hoping we are well on the way to recovery and might even be able to leave ICU as early as tomorrow!!!

Don't worry, Laura doesn't have to wear a hat in the hospital. I just decided to try it on her while she was awake. She hasn't smiled yet, which is sad since she is such a happy baby who normally can't stop smiling. At least she is not moaning anymore and only complaining part of the time she is awake. She's starting to play with toys and interact some.

Over the weekend we were put in "isolation" which meant we had to put on gowns, masks, and gloves when sitting in Laura's room. Not the easiest, but we are glad that is over. I did manage to knit with gloves on. I'm getting so much knitting done here. It is good stress relief. I've made that hat Laura has on, fingerless gloves, baby socks, squares for a baby blanket, and am also working on a shawl as well as a headband for Laura.

I was able to go home for church with the children yesterday as well as Sunday lunch and a few hours in the afternoon. One of us goes home each day to see the children for a few hours. It is nice to get out and good to be reunited with the others. Michael hopes to bring them all in this evening to see Laura. Maybe that will make her smile!!!

Emily took me out this afternoon and we visited the Mass. Avenue Knit Shop, the Best Chocolate Shop in Town, and the Earth House. We each bought one truffle to try: Caramel Apple and Pumpkin. Yum. Yum. Yum. And a good cup of coffee at the Earth House made for a nice afternoon visit.

We have become friends with a lovely family from German-speaking northern Indiana They have 5 children as well, about the very same ages as ours. Their daughter had a very complicated heart surgery and is doing well. It has been very fun to get to know them. We plan to stay in touch.

It is also heart-wrenching to learn the stories of others here. The second day of our stay a family lost their baby after a 9 week battle. Last night I met a mother from our floor in the Ronald McDonald House kitchen whose 10 week old baby is on life support. My heart just breaks for them. I wish there was something to do to encourage them. It's scary to have your child sick and watch them fight for life. It is something no parent ever wants to face.

We are so thankful for such a wonderful hospital and have been so impressed with all the staff here -- doctors, nurses, surgeons. Everyone is so kind, caring, and skilled.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers for us. We are grateful that Laura is doing well and that we can anticipate going home perhaps by the end of the week!!


Heather said...

I'm so glad to hear good news for Laura! I'm sure she'll find her smile when she sees her big sister and big brothers! What a blessing that the Lord brought you into a friendship with a kindred heart family right there at the hospital! I can't believe all of the knitting you have accomplished - what a great use of those waiting hours! We won't stop praying for your family and especially Laura! Thanks for keeping us up to date!

southseaislandhome said...

Wow - you are amazing Heather - so much work accomplished! And it's so good to hear that Laura is going well. I'm sure she'll get her beautiful smile back soon. We are continuing to pray for her. And thank you so much for the updates.