Monday, March 12, 2012

Embracing Winter: Celebrate St. Patrick's Day

We have, officially, just 8 days left of winter! It already feels like spring (even summer?) outside, here in the midwest. I have to admit that I am a little sorry to see the winter months go. I know my life will soon be on fast forward and I will miss the quieter days of winter. Soon will come the relentless garden and yard work, the constant outdoor play, and the trips to the pool. All good things. Needless to say, I am enjoying these last few weeks of "slower-ness".

But, St. Patrick's Day is ahead this weekend, and it is another great way to brighten up the sometimes dull days of March. Here are some ideas for celebrating:

Some years the only thing we do is wear green shirts on March 17th, but that's still being festive!

One year we made green milk (and the food coloring spurted all over the floor -- what a mess!). The kids are asking for it again.

Irish soda bread is always fun and delicious to make. I haven't yet found a gluten free recipe, but I might try one like this. You can find my normal Irish Soda Bread recipe here.

Eat some good, Irish food, or something green, like asparagus. Check out The Cooks Next Door for these great recipes:

Irish Feast: Corned Beef with Cabbage, Horseradish Sauce, and Guinness Bread
My review of several Irish cookbooks

Making cookies is always fun.........

And of course reading up on history and telling your kids the real story behind St. Patrick's Day. Oh, and Pinterest will be sure to provide plenty of great, green ideas. :)


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

You could always try a small batch of your normal soda bread recipe with AP GF flour. Adding 1/2 tsp of vinegar might help it rise and give it some texture. Maybe add xanthan gum as well.

Oven fries are a great suggestion to go with Reubens!