Friday, May 24, 2013

The Tea Trolley


It's been a much fuller week than I anticipated. One always forgets that not only does life require physical activity, but also emotional stamina as well! Between doctor's appointments, lovely visits with friends, processing news from old friends, and adjusting to life without homeschool, I think I'm in need of lots of tea!

Rachel asked to bake something on Sunday afternoon and chose to make a gluten free cake. It took me a moment to recognize the Eye of Sauron. Everyone loved the cake and it made for a nice little family moment to have everyone sitting around the living room eating cake and drinking tea (and, sadly, I did have to scrub off red icing from the carpet later on).

A friend handed me a teabag of Roasted Dandelion Root tea to try. The steeping requires 15 minutes! Wow. My mom declared she could "drink this all winter." I had a harder time with it and decided it would take me awhile to get used to it.


First day of freedom from school required a bit of tea therapy and so I made up a tray to take upstairs for a few minutes. Always a treat!

 One morning this week John and Christina came over for a visit -- much easier to do without school! The weather was perfect for sitting outside and while the little children played in the playhouse, Christina and I sipped Indian tea and talked about the garden and knitting.


One of my neighbors organized a trip to the local Indian grocery store this week. There were four of us in the car and we were all of different nationalities! How fun is that!  Check out just a portion of the tea shelves at the store:


At the monthly Mug 'n Muffin gathering last night there were 11 of us seated around a friend's kitchen table. I enjoyed decaf earl grey and lovely fruit. several of us knitted, others flipped through magazines, and we all laughed!


One thing I couldn't resist at the Indian store was a stalk of sugar cane for the kids to try. When we lived in Uganda we watched kids chewing and spitting sugar cane all the time. My kids thought it was delicious fun!


Last but not least, I was gifted with two different teas this week. A thoughtful friend who no longer lives in town brought home a huge package of Ugandan tea for me after her recent trip there. I was so surprised and delighted. Then, after walking one morning with my Indian neighbor, she insisted I have a package of the black tea that she brings over from her home town in India. Both of these teas are amazing! So dark and smooth and the Indian tea even seemed sweet.


At the moment I am basking in the cooler weather we are having, along with some sunshine. Any reprieve from the high heat of summer is good news to me. The weekend is ahead, with a graduation to attend, hamburgers to cook, and I hope plenty of tea to drink. Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

The Tea Trolley Link Up:
-- Any post that is tea, coffee, or hot drink related
-- Link to this blog
-- Paste your link in the Mr. Linky below

2 comments:

HeatherMavis said...

Scotland then Uganda ,never a dull moment!

Unknown said...

How fun! I never realized you lived in Uganda. I went to Karamoja in 2006 and loved it. It's so hard to believe it was that long ago.