Thursday, November 3, 2011

Current Cooking

I've been trying even harder these past few months to keep our food budget from skyrocketing. It has not been an easy battle. I'm trying to simplify meals without sacrificing nutritional content. Fortunately, Michael is happy with just about anything!

Here are some of the basic meals we've enjoyed: meatloaf (I love this recipe)
Andrew requested lasagna for his birthday and I tried a gluten-free zucchini lasagna. It was slightly watery, but the extra cheesiness made up for it.

Crockpot Chinese chicken -- I put my rice and veg into my rice cooker so the whole meal was ready when we walked in the door from a busy day.

Our Saturday evening staple: eggs, potatoes, and vegetables

Pasta with pulled chicken, tomato sauce and mozzarella

Pasta with roasted butternut squash on the side with hotdogs

And I did make a pumpkin cake this fall for Bible study. Very delicious.....

Another crockpot chicken day -- I think this was lemon tarragon. Also very nice.

Making meals sometimes seems relentless......thankfully, every once in awhile the enthusiasm reappears and meals get exciting again. :)

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Do you have a recipe for the butternut squash and pasta? Hot dogs look so fancy with sauteed onions! ;-)

Heather L. said...

Here is a recipe for the squash:
http://blackberryramblesrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/01/roasted-squash-and-sausage-pasta.html

Stephanie said...

Thanks! I think this will work great with quinoa pasta.

Amy K said...

Yum! I agree about trying to keep grocery bill costs down. The cost of food must be rising because I don't feel like I am doing anything different and groceries have been SO expensive lately. :-/