Monday, September 22, 2008

Welcome Fall

Fall is here! What a wonderful time of year! I spent the weekend doing very "fall-ish" things: making jam, making applesauce, cooking a fall dinner.

I think Fall is my best season as a cook. Somehow I feel more like cooking, the foods that are available appeal to me, and the dishes that I make taste (in my opinion) so good!

We had guests for lunch on Sunday. Catherine reminded me that the first day of Fall fell just after the weekend and so I was inspired to make sure the table looked very festive:

I ended up with a free subscription to Country Home and found a menu to inspire me. Thus, we had mulled cider to begin with, pork roast with fresh herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme, garlic), a variation of my own chutney, mashed potatoes, spiced roasted butternut squash, and green beans.


We had apples three ways between the cider, the chutney, and our dessert: Rustic Apple Tart.

The only thing we did not have was applesauce -- I think because we had our fill on Saturday!

Somehow, over the weekend the trees took on their first tinge of yellow. It's amazing how it just happens. Tonight we are off to join Grandpa and Grandma for a kayak picnic and to celebrate James' birthday a few days early. Therefore, I am off to go invent a Strawberry Cake!



2 comments:

Heather Anne said...

Mmmm! Heather - you made my mouth water with your delicious photos - you are a wonderful cook and a great photographer! I love your Rustic Apple Tart - too yummy for words! I am still waiting for our new stove to be set in place - the counter top people should be here to enlarge the opening sometime this morning - I hope it works well and I can get to use my new stove!!! I have waited so very long.

Lovella ♥ said...

Heather, your table is always so pretty. Your dinner looks scrumptious. . and the tart. . .makes my mouth water.