Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Book Review

I enjoy Catherine's book reviews so much that I've decided I might try posting reviews more often on my blog.

Today I'm reviewing The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath by Mark Buchanan.

I think this is my favorite book on "the Sabbath" that I've read so far. First of all, when I say "sabbath" I'm not talking about the Jewish observance of Saturday, but rather the Christian understanding of the fourth commandment that God has set aside one day of the week for worship and rest.

This book is so practical in helping us understand just what we should be doing on the Sabbath and yet it never once gives a list of "do's and don't's". Chapters talk about a proper work ethic, stopping to think, paying attention, stopping legalism and finding joy, hunger and feasting, listening, remembering, and practicing Heaven.

I come away from this book inspired. I've been encouraged to look at Sundays as a "rehearsal for heaven," to work hard all week with the anticipation of rest and joy on Sunday, to orient my life around the routine of 6 days work, 1 day rest and renewal.

I highly recommend this book. It is going to the top of my list of "sabbath" books and I'm planning to buy my own copy so I can read it at leisure.

2 comments:

Amy K said...

Oh good! I love book reviews too. I'll have to add this to my ever growing list, and put it near the top. :)

Anonymous said...

I am very interested in reading this book now. Thanks for your review. I haven't checked out the Asheville library yet, but I'm thinking they don't carry a good selection of good theological books. The chapters on joy, stopping to think and paying attention are appealing to where I am now -- I think that needs work.