Thursday, November 13, 2008

Roasted Sweet Potato and Apple Soup

Today I'm participating in Keeping Creative Kitchens over at Reflective Ponderings.

I wanted to share a recipe for Roasted Sweet Potato and Apple Soup. Carla G. kindly passed it on to me and it is orginally from the Curves magazine. I made it recently and we all really enjoyed it.

Roasted Sweet Potato and Apple Soup

2 med sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½” pieces
1 sweet apple, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
1 med. yellow onion, peeled and cut into large pieces
2 cloves garlic, peeled & halved
2 Tbs. olive oil
3-4 cups low sodium chicken or veg. broth
½ - ¾ cup sour cream, for serving

1. Preheat oven to 450. Place sweet potatoes, apple, onion, and garlic in roasting pan. Toss with oil, salt & pepper to taste. Roast, tossing once or twice until soft and onions are just starting to brown, about 20 to 25 min.
2. Place half the mixture in blender adding just enough broth to cover. Puree, pouring in more broth until soup is smooth and not too thick. Repeat with rest of mixture.
3. Warm, add sour cream and serve. Serves 4. (I doubled this to serve our family)

At long last, here is a photo of the candy corn cookies I made last month. I saw this idea in Country Living last year and couldn't wait to make them this year. I thought they were so cute. :)

Our vacation is going along nicely. Just a few more days left. Today we are at home and I'm trying to catch up on laundry, etc. The kids have been to the dollar store and each have a new toy to play with. The weather is warm enough for a walk later and the gray skies are tempting me to sit and sip tea and maybe look at the new magazines that have arrived.

3 comments:

Micah said...

Your cookies are adorable! I'll have to remember that for next year! (yeah, right! Can you just post it again before October next year??? =)

willow said...

The soup sounds good. I am going through a bit of a soup phase at the moment and that will be a new one to try.
You visited my blog before I managed to leave you a note to say I'd tagged you. I will look forward to reading you six random things if you decide to play along.

Alaina said...

That soup looks so good! And I can vouch for the cookies - they were amazing! :)